PhD Admission 2012 at ISEC, Bangalore
Kochi, March 3, 2012: The Institute for Social and Economic Change (ISEC), Nagarabhavi, Bangalore has invited applications for admission to PhD Programme: (a) full-time (residential) for students and (b) part-time (non-residential) for academicians and interested scholars.
Disciplines of Specialisation:
The disciplines or specializations available for taking up entrance test for PhD in the Institute are:
(i) Agricultural Economics or Rural Development
(ii) Development Studies
(v) Environmental Economics / Ecological Economics / Natural Resource Economics
(vi) Political Science / International Relations / Public Administration
(vii) Population / Demographic Studies
(viii) Sociology / Social Anthropology
The aspirants for ISEC PhD Programme and research fellowships must satisfy the following requirements:
* Master's degree or equivalent in any of the disciplines (see sub-headings 11 and 13) with at least 55% marks in the aggregate (50% in case of SC/ST applicants)
* A pass in UGC-NET / JRF / SLET / M Phil is desirable (Please see Item No.13)
* Age limit for ICSSR fellowships - below 35 years, 40 years in case of teachers and members of professional staff in Research Institutes.
There is no age limit for ISEC Fellowship, Part-time or External PhD Programme.
Other discipline-wise eligibility requirements:
* Candidates applying for Agricultural Economics / Rural Development should have a Master's Degree in Economics, Statistics, Agricultural Economics or Rural Development.
* Candidates applying for Economics should have a Master's Degree in Economics/Statistics/Econometrics.
* Candidates applying for Environmental / Ecological Economics / Natural Resource Economics should have Master's Degree in Economics or other relevant disciplines including Biological Sciences and Engineering.
* Candidates applying for Education should have a Master's Degree in Education preferably with specialization in Economics of Education / Sociology of Education / Educational Planning and Management.
* Candidates applying for Political Science / International Relations / Public Administration should have a Master's Degree in Political Science / International Relations / Public Administration.
* Candidates applying for Population / Demographic Studies should have Master's Degree in Demography / Population Studies or Economics / Statistics / Sociology or Anthropology or Geography, preferably with specialization in Population Studies.
* Candidates applying for Sociology / Social Anthropology should have Master's Degree in Sociology / Anthropology (Social Anthropology).
* Candidates applying in Development Studies should have Master's Degree in any of the Social Sciences, MBA or Master's degree acceptable by IDS, Mysore.
Candidates who have passed UGC-JRF will be paid the fellowship as per UGC norms, upon receipt of fellowship grant from UGC. These Fellowship holders should comply with all the requirements of the UGC, from time to time.
The candidates selected for ICSSR/ISEC fellowship will be paid a scholarship of Rs.6,000 p.m. during the PhD Foundation Coursework period besides an annual contingency grant of Rs.12,000. Upon successful completion of PhD Coursework, the fellowship is extendable to a further period of three years where the fellowship paid during the first two years would be Rs.16,000/- p.m. and a contingency of Rs.10,000/- per annum. During the third year the fellowship paid will be Rs.18000/- p.m. and the annual contingency will be Rs.20,500/-. These Fellowship holders should comply with all the PhD Programme requirements of ICSSR/ISEC, from time to time.
Preliminary screening of applications is done based on the quality of their research proposal submitted with the application. The short listed candidates will be called for a written test to be held on July 12, 2012. The list of candidates to be called for written test shall be displayed at: www.isec.ac.in on or before 15th June, 2012. Candidates qualifying the written test will be required to appear for an interview on July 13, 2012.
How to Apply:
The prescribed application form can be downloaded (only on A4 size paper) from : http://www.isec.ac.in/PhD-Appl-Inform-2012.pdf
Duly filled-in application form with all the relevant enclosures should be submitted along with an application fee of Rs.500/- (Rs.150/- in case of SC/STs) in the form of Demand Draft drawn in favour of Registrar, ISEC, Bangalore. Candidates who are awaiting their second year PG results may also apply. However, it is mandatory to produce the proof of final PG examination results at the time of the admission test. The Pre-PhD Coursework will begin in the first or second week of August 2012.
Completed application with requisite attachments should reach the following address on or before May 15, 2012:
Registrar, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Professor V K R V Rao Road, Nagarabhavi P.O., Bangalore-560 072, (Karnataka).
Candidates must submit the following documents along with the application form:
* Matriculation Certificate (as a proof for date of birth).
* Master's Degree Certificate and Marks Card.
* UGC-NET or JRF or SLET Certificate/letter (if applicable).
* MPhil Certificate (if applicable).
* Research proposal (without applicant's name or identity anywhere).
* Copies of academic publications (if applicable)
* Testimonials of work experience (if applicable)
* Caste Certificate (applicable to SC/ST candidates only)
For details, visit : http://www.isec.ac.in/phd.htm