Commonwealth Scholarships : Apply now
Mathrubhumi Education Online
Kochi, Aug 31,2012 : Applications have been invited from Indian nationals either on line through http://mhrd.gov.in/ or on plain paper in the prescribed format for nominations from India for the award of Commonwealth Scholarships in United Kingdom tenable from September/ October 2013 for higher studies/ research/ specialized training in the subjects mentioned below in the United Kingdom. Upto Sixty (60) nominations are to be sent to the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission for final selection to be made by them. Out of these not more than twenty five (25) are for doctoral studies.
ELIGIBILITY : The candidate should not be more than 40 years of age as on 12.10.2012 and fulfill the minimum qualifications as per Para (IV) below.
LEVEL OF COURSE
These scholarships will be awarded for studies leading to either: -
(1) SIX MONTHS OF CLINICAL TRAINING (For MBBS, BDS,MS, MD degree holders only who have qualified as MBBS and BDS between 1st October, 2003 and 30th September, 2008.
1. Cancer Research 2. Cardiology 3. Gynecology 4. Medicine 5. Dentistry 6. Orthopedics 7. Neurology and 8. ENT.
From 1st October 2010, all international medical graduates, including those on Commonwealth Scholarships and Fellowships, who apply for registration with the GMC will be required to score 7.0 or above in every band of the academic IELTS test.
Applicants in medicine and dentistry whose programme requires them to practice clinically, or to work in a laboratory department reporting on samples from Patents, can be considered only if they are eligible for registration with the General Medical Council or the General Dental Council (Current conditions for registration can be obtained from the GMC and GDC Website:www.gmc-uk.org and www.gdc-uk.org).
(i) ONE YEAR MASTER’S COURSES OR EQUIVALENT DEGREE,
(ii) DOCTORAL DEGREE OF UPTO THREE YEARS DURATION
(A) ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY: 1. Electronics/Electrical 2. Environmental Studies 3. Remote Sensing Technology 4. Communication Engineering 5. Biotechnology or Biochemical Engineering 6. Robotics 7. Computer Applications/ Computer Science 8. Aerospace Engg./Aeronautics 9. Civil Engineering 10. Material Science 11. Mining Engineering and 12. Marine Engg.
(B) SCIENCE (PURE AND APPLIED) : 1. Mathematics 2. Molecular Biology 3. Physics and 4. Chemistry (including Pharmaceutical/Medicinal Chemistry).
(C) AGRICULTURE : 1. Agronomy & Forestry.
(D) HUMANITIES AND SOCIAL SCIENCES : 1. History 2. Sociology 3. Management Studies 4. Economics 5. Philosophy 6.Psychology 7. Law 8. English (Literature/Linguistics) and 9. Political Science with International Relations.
Candidates who have already been registered for Ph.D or completed Ph.D. or are about to complete, will not be considered.
The candidates must have completed tertiary education in English Medium :-
FOR MASTER’S DEGREE : One should hold or able to produce the certificate of Bachelor’s Degree by October, 2013 in the subject field concerned (indicated above) securing 60% or above marks in Humanities and Social Science group and 65% or above marks in Medical, Engineering and Technology, Science and Agriculture Group. Candidate should give one page academic justification for pursuing the course in U.K.
Candidates who wish to undertake postgraduate study in Business and/or Management should before applying for a Commonwealth Scholarship, have taken the Graduate Management Admission Test (Princeton Test). Enquiries to: G.M.A.T. Educational Testing Services, Box 966 – R, Princeton, NJ 08541, U.S.A. Candidates for awards in Economics and related subjects should be aware that a number of departments may require them, before admission, to pass the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) of which details may be obtained from Graduate Record Examination, Educational Testing Service, Box 955, Princeton, NJ 08541, U.S.A. Service, Box 955, Princeton, NJ 08541, U.S.A.
Applicants for level of course at ‘1’ in Para III above whose programme requires them to practice clinically, or to work in a laboratory department reporting on samples from patients, can be considered only if they are eligible for registration with the General Medical Council or the General Dental Council. Information about current conditions for registration can be obtained from: -
“The General Medical Council, Overseas Registration Division, 178 – 202 Great Portland Street, London WIN 6JE, or, The General Dental Council, 37 Wimpole Street, London WIM 8DQ”
Candidates whose native language is not English will be required to provide evidence that they have sufficient competence in English to practice Medicine or Dentistry in the United Kingdom. Nominated candidates will be required to take the IELTS, for which they may contact local British Council Office. An IELTS test will only be considered valid if taken after 1st October 2012 and before 6th March 2013.
FOR Ph.D. DEGREE: One should hold or able to produce the certificate of Master’s Degree by October 2012 in the concerned subject fields (indicated above) securing 60% or above marks in Humanities and Social Science group and 65% or above marks in the relevant subjects in Medical, Engineering and Technology, Science and Agriculture Group.
VALUE OF AWARD
Each scholarship provides: -
(A) Student concessionary or other approved airfare to the United Kingdom by the most direct and economical route and return on expiry of the scholarship (the cost of journey made before receipt of award will not normally be reimbursed nor can fares be paid for a scholar’s dependents).
(B) Approved tuition and examination fees.
(C) A personal maintenance allowance at the rate of £917 per month (£1,134 per month for those studying at institutions in the London Metropolitan area)
(D) A grant towards the expenses of preparing a thesis or dissertation, where applicable.
(E) An initial arrival allowance, incorporating in initial clothing grant for scholars from tropical countries.
(F) A grant for expenses for approved travel within the United Kingdom or overseas.
(G) A grant towards fieldwork costs for those Scholars undertaking doctoral studies for whom a case has been made for fieldwork outside the United Kingdom. This shall not normally exceed one economy class return airfare to the fieldwork location.
(H) A paid mid-term fare to their home country for Scholars on three years doctoral awards. Scholars for whom fieldwork fares are provided to their home country shall not be entitled to a mid-term fare home, nor Scholars who have claimed (or intend to claim) spouse or child allowances for more than 12 months during their award.
(I) For married Scholars selected by the Commission for awards exceeding 18 months, a marriage allowance of £ 220 per month is payable provided that the husband and wife (of civil partners) are residing together at the same address in the United Kingdom. It is not paid when a husband or wife (or civil partner) of the Scholar is also in receipt of an award. For such married couples accompanied by their children, a child allowance is payable at the rate of £138 per month for the first child and £108 per month for the second and third child under the age of 16, provided they are residing with their parents.
The Commission’s spouse and family allowances represent only a contribution towards the cost of family maintenance in the UK and Scholars should expect and be able to supplement these allowances to support family members who choose to come to the UK. Irrespective of the length of the award, a scholar who is widowed, divorced or a lone parent will receive an allowance in respect of the first accompanying children and child allowances for the second and third accompanying children.
LAST DATE OF RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS: For those applying by post, applications on plain paper (as per format given below) alongwith the required documents (attested copies of all certificates/ degrees/diplomas have to be attached) should reach Section Officer, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Department of Higher Education, External Scholarship Division, ES.4 Section, West Block1, Wing-6, 2nd Floor, R.K. Puram, New Delhi - 110 066 by 12th October 2012. (Tele. No.
26172491 and 26172492.
For those applying online, hard copy of application alongwith supporting documents should be submitted so that it may to reach the above-mentioned address by 12th October 2012. Last Date: 7th October, 2012 for applying online.
GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS :
1. A candidate may apply for only one subject of his/her choice.
2. As a condition of award, the Commission or a host institution in Britain may also require a candidate to take particular English Tests and/or training in English.
3. The final selection of the nominated candidates rests with the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission in U.K.
4. Nomination of a candidate by Government of India does not guarantee final selection or placement. The Commonwealth Scholarship Commission will make its own selection out of overall nominees recommended by all the participating countries in the programme.
5. Mere fulfillment of minimum requirements as laid down in the advertisement does not qualify a candidate for interview. Interview letters are sent only to a limited number of candidates after their applications are examined by the Committee of Experts.
6. Application must be accompanied by attested copies of certificates regarding date of birth, diplomas, degrees, mark sheets in respect of all the examination passed alongwith experience certificate of Employment (if any) and one copy of recently taken passport size photograph with signature (to be pasted on application form). Self attested certificates will not be accepted.
7. Applicants already registered for Ph.D will not be considered. Candidates who have already done a Ph.D. in India or abroad are also not considered.
8. Candidates who have already been abroad for studies/ training/ specialization either on scholarships or on their own, for a period exceeding six months are eligible to apply if they have been in India for at least two consecutive years after returning from abroad as on 12.10.2012. Applications of candidates who are already abroad will not be considered.
9. In case of candidates qualifying from Universities, where grades are awarded, the candidates are required to furnish exact percentage of marks and indicate the conversion formula.
10. Candidates will be expected to have some knowledge of India and of the donor country.
11. Candidates who are employed must apply through their employers. Candidates belonging to the All India Services should send their applications through their Cadre Controlling Authority. No Objection Certificate from Employer should invariably be submitted on or before the time of interview. Otherwise candidates will not be allowed to appear for interview and no TA will be given.
12. It is very important that applicants who are in employment to which they wish to return after completion of their studies in UK should have an assurance from their Organisation that if their nomination is successful, they will be granted sufficient leave of absence. In general, a candidate undertaking research for a Ph.D. can be expected to need 36 months study in the United Kingdom even though in the first instance, the award will only be offered for one or two years.
13. While indicating the period of past experience and stay abroad, candidates should mention the specific dates.
14. As these scholarships are offered by Commonwealth Scholarship Commission in UK the applications should be submitted in English only.
15. Applications in subject-fields other than those specified in the advertisement will not be considered.
16. Candidates who do not possess the essential qualification need not apply.
17. Candidates must furnish a clear and precise programme of study/research (minimum 500 words) justifying that their study/research can be carried out in the United Kingdom. Candidates are advised to describe their plan for study/research proposals carefully as these will be a primary condition in selection both PG/Ph.D course.
18 Incomplete applications and applications received after the stipulated date will not be considered and no correspondence will be entertained.
19. Documents submitted along with the application will not be returned. Hence, candidates are advised to send only attested copies of the certificates.
APPLICATION FORM CAN BE DOWNLOADED FROM THE SITE OR CAN ALSO BE SUBMITTED ON LINE. IN CASE OF ONLINE SUBMISSION, THE CANDIDATES MUST SUBMIT THE HARD COPY OF APPLICATION MENTIONING THE REGISTRATION NUMBER RECEIVED ONLINE AND THE PHOTOGRAPH, ATTESTED COPIES OF CERTIFICATES MENTIONED IN PARA 6 ABOVE BY 12th October 2012, OTHERWISE IT WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. NO APPLICATION FORMS IS BEING SUPPLIED BY THIS MINISTRY.
IMPORTANT: Awards are tenable at any UK institution of higher education with whom the commission has a part-funding agreement; a list of these institutions can be found at: http://bit.ly/cscuk-uk-universities.
Candidates are expected to state up to three preferred institutions(s) on the application form, but the final decision on host institution will be made by the Commission. Candidates are advised to submit independent applications directly to their preferred institutions at the same time as applying for this Scholarship. Where formal offers of admission have been obtained, these should be included with the application.
All candidates applying for Doctoral Study must provide the commission with evidence of support from a prospective supervisor at atleast one of their chosen Institutions at the time of application. So, if such support letter is not submitted at the time of interview, he/she will not be allowed to appear before the interview and no TA will be given.
Visit http://mhrd.gov.in for further details.